3: The Chapel of the 3rd Station
This chapel of the 3rd Station (Jesus falls the first time under the weight of the Cross) was the last chapel of Calvario to be built. This occurred on the 350th anniversary of the foundation of Sacro Monte Calvario. The first stone was actually laid on 19 June 1907 by the Bishop of Novara, Monsignor Giuseppe Gamba (and this is found at the bottom of the corner of the façade with the writing: D.S. EP.S NOV. J. GAMBA POSUIT MCMVII XV KAL. JU).
The design is by the engineer Stefano Molli of Turin. He designed six rectangular windows with a cornice supported by modillions, and a little pronaos supported by two granite columns. In the tympanum there is the coat of arms of Bishop Monsignor Gamba and above the doorway the date 1908, the year in which the chapel was completed.
The group of six wooden statues, placed there in 1947, are the work of the Pavonian sculptor Belluta, of Artigianelli of Milan. The setting, partly brickwork and partly painted was based on the design of Professor Giorgio Savaglio, a Rosminian.